Community Engagement Coordinator
Join an active, passionate, and down-to-earth team in connecting people with the conserved lands of the Champlain Valley! A typical day at MALT is what many people dream of doing on the weekend. You’ll serve side-by-side with volunteers while maintaining the 19-mile Trail Around Middlebury, surrounded by forest, pasture, and views of mountains in every direction. Then you’ll hunt for salamanders, teach orienteering, and play nature-based games outside with seven-year-olds all afternoon. In between, you’ll grow as a coordinator, communicator, and environmental steward. Being a part of MALT means joining a vibrant community of like-minded nature lovers and protectors. Come to MALT to connect people to nature when they need it most!
This position is part of the Vermont Housing & Conservation Board AmeriCorps (VHCB AmeriCorps). The VHCB AmeriCorps program supports the innovative dual-goal approach to creating stable affordable housing opportunities for Vermont residents while preserving the natural and working landscape. VHCB AmeriCorps is a national service program that places members with non-profit housing or land and energy conservation organizations around the state.
The Middlebury Area Land Trust (MALT) works with our community to conserve natural and productive landscapes, and to enhance scenic, recreational, and educational opportunities. Based in Middlebury, VT and serving Addison County, this AmeriCorps Member position will maintain and protect 3,700+ acres of conserved lands and 30 miles of public recreation trails. The member will inspire and foster a strong environmental ethic through nature science education for youth and adults while inspiring responsible outdoor recreation.
- Serve directly and side-by-side with volunteers while maintaining 30+ miles of trail. Recruit, coordinate, and engage 100+ volunteers on the trails;
- Directly steward MALT’s conserved lands with an emphasis on invasive species management, engaging volunteers to make direct improvements;
- Serve directly in MALT’s 4-year campaign to increase equitable public access to MALT’s 1,600+ acres of public lands and 30+ miles of trails;
- Teach environmental education programs for audiences ages 3 to adulthood, including schools, camps, professional partners, and family groups;
- Co-develop and teach summer day camps for children ages 3-14, mentor and supervise teen counselors-in-training – develop service learning as a new facet of MALT’s education programs;
- Maintain, performance measurement records for all education programs and lead a strategic assessment of MALT’s currently served audiences, leading to a recommendation for more equitable engagement with MALT’s programs;
- Participate in an Independent Service Project under the guidance of VHCB AmeriCorps;
- Participate in VHCB AmeriCorps Trainings, Service Days, Events, and Program Initiatives;
- Engage in professional and personal development activities and networking opportunities.
Status: Full time,Temporary
Middlebury VT 05753