ACEDC: Apprentice Bookkeeper
This temporary position with ADDISON COUNTY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION (ACEDC) has been developed as part of an in-house Apprenticeship Program that includes structured on-the-job- training; instruction; rewards for skills gains; and acquisition of an industry credential. The position includes training and close supervision of bookkeeper functions in order to give an interested individual comprehensive bookkeeper training in a QuickBooks Desktop environment for approximately one year and then assistance in finding suitable other employment as a bookkeeper in Addison County. The successful candidate is expected to complete the QuickBooks Desktop Users Certification within 120 days of employment. The costs of training materials and the Certification exam will be paid by ACEDC. The successful candidate will possess a basic or better knowledge of QuickBooks and bookkeeping principles with a desire to increase their skill to the level of working confidently and independently in QuickBooks-based small business accounting.
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The bookkeeper position handles the details of ACEDC’s financial transactions, keeps accurate records
and ensures transactions are handled in a timely manner. A typical day might include issuing invoices as
directed, posting monies received and preparing bank deposits, entering bills to be paid, and generating
reports as requested. Duties will expand as training and experience allows.
PRINCIPAL TASKS MAY INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING (added incrementally as skills increase):
• Post vendor bills in QuickBooks and pay as approved by management
• Convert vendor bills to customer Invoices as appropriate
• Manage copier meter counter and billing
• Prepare invoices for Members, Customers and Borrowers as directed
• Verify and post payments received, prepare checks for deposit
• Record Borrower transactions in company’s loan management system and QuickBooks
• Calculate and post Borrower late fees
• Monitor Borrower document requirements and report deficiencies
• Monitor office supplies and equipment and reorder as authorized by management
• Assist in ACEDC member accounting
• Conduct a monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts and funds
• Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
• Maintain the petty cash fund
• Prepare financial statements
• Calculate and issue financial analysis of the financial statements as directed
• Assist in assembling information for the annual audit
• Complete semi-annual USDA loan fund reports
• Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
• Maintain the chart of accounts
• Maintain the annual budget
• Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
• Calculate and process ACEDC reimbursements and fees
• Prepare monthly Accounts Payable listing and Accounts Receivable Aging reports
• Manage classified financial statements
• Assist in monthly accounting period close
• Assist in new Borrower account set up and maintenance
• Assist in preparation for and execution of organization events
• Answer phone and occasional clerical duties
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Ability to learn and follow generally accepted accounting procedures
• Bookkeeping knowledge – an introductory or better grasp of bookkeeping principles
• Math skills – comfort with numbers
• Data entry –ability to efficiently input transaction information into accounting software.
Attention to detail is essential, as is an interest in becoming proficient with technology
• Communication skills – exhibit well-rounded communication skills, since the job involves
creating reports from complex data, expressing findings to others, and interacting with vendors
• Multitasking – the ability to remained organized even when receiving data from various sources
• Technology – possesses basic familiarity with Microsoft Office application: Outlook, Word, Excel.
• Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues
Office is open Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Exact hours in the office are flexible. Scheduling as mutually agreed as long as the needs of ACEDC are met.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: Start at $15.00 per hour. Potential for an increase to $17.50 per hour dependent on QuickBooks
Desktop Certification and attainment of proficiency in certain skills.
Education: High school or equivalent
Work authorization: United States
Work Location: One location: 1590 Route 7 South, Suite 8, Middlebury.
Hours per week: 10 hrs for 90 days, then 20 hrs for the duration of employment
Benefits: Paid time off; Simple IRA-with company match
Elizabeth Burdine, Finance Director
(802)388-7953 X202 or email@example.com