USDA Rural Development Housing Programs

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Rural Development in Vermont offers special housing programs for the purchase, rent or rehabilitation of housing in rural communities. Their 504 home repair program provides loans to lower income homeowners for repairs, improvements or modernization. They also provide grants to elderly lower income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards. The housing specialist serving Addison County is Megan Roush. She also works closely with many other organizations to provide loans and grants to homeowners in the region. Megan can be reached at by phone at 802-828-6006, email at, or by mailing applications to USDA, Rural Development, 87 State Street - Suite 324, P.O. Box #249, Montpelier, VT 05601. For more info, click here.